Monday, July 9, 2012

get naked || undone series

I announced a while ago that I'd be doing a small blog series on what it means to be undone. I have some guest blogs and a lot of my scattered thoughts somewhat organized into blog posts. I want to introduce you to my friend Melody. We met in Korea while attending the same church. She was one of my first friends and has an amazing ability to make you feel like you're the most important person in the world. She has a billion friends, but you never feel rejected or abandoned with her. My blog was inspired by her commitment to her blog. Here she is with her thoughts on what it means to be undone. Enjoy!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
source

“If you want to destroy my sweater…”


Catchy way to start a guest blog post, eh? (I feel as if a lot of my audience here on Hannah’s blog is going to be Canadian, so I wanted to fit in). Grand prize goes to the first person whom can comment and tell me the song title and artist that fits with that quote… okay, just kidding--- I will tell you. Later.

When Hannah asked me to contribute a blog post to her “Undone” series (uh…ahem, a month ago? oops… soweeee girl) I had an unusual feeling. Many days later I was able to label it: “Writer’s Block.” It was terrible.

I took the time to pray and seriously reflect on what it meant to “become undone” before God. The first thing that popped into my head? A Weezer song. I was utterly confused until I hummed the chorus of the song (okay, the only part of the song I really know) in my head… “If you want to destroy my sweater –whoa-o-o-o-a-a-ohhh- pull this thread as I walk away (as I walk away!) watch me unravel, I’ll soon be naked (lyin’ on the floor!) lyin’ on the floor, I’ve come undone.”

Getting to the part in my head about being naked caused me to pause. Being naked to me, means being vulnerable. In my mind I automatically connected that coming undone before God means being vulnerable. Even though God knows everything, he wants you to tell him everything. We (me and- you know- the rest of the Christian population who believes what I believe) call it a personal relationship, the one we can have with a father. The most successful relationships are the ones when you communicate, and tell each other everything--- even if you hang out all the time and you know what’s going on… see where I am going with this?

Weezer had it right, when you are naked, you come undone.

Being vulnerable before God is something I have had to work on for the past year… and it is still a struggle for me sometimes. But when I am able to come undone, to cry (to me that is the ultimate form of vulnerability in front of God, crying) and tell Him everything, my faith grows--- and my personal relationship grows.

So what am I trying to say?

Get naked.

4 comments:

  1. This is a very powerful message :D When we hold nothing back before God, true freedom and joy come into place! Thank you Melody and Hanny :) This is very encouraging ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhh so good!!! thanks for sharing melody!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy :)